Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The base or platform from which a rocket or space vehicle is launched.
2. A foundation or starting point.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
launch pador launching pad
1. (Astronautics) a platform from which a spacecraft, rocket, etc, is launched
2. an effective starting point for a career, enterprise, or campaign
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
(or launch′ing) pad` or launch′pad`,
1. the platform on which a rocket, missile, etc., is launched.
2. something that serves to launch or initiate.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A concrete or other hard surface area on which a missile launcher is positioned.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||launch pad - a platform from which rockets or space craft are launched|
platform - a raised horizontal surface; "the speaker mounted the platform"
launching site - a place for launching pads
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.