Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. la·va·boes
1. often Lavabo The ceremonial washing of the hands and recitation from the Psalms by the celebrant before the Eucharist in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches.
2. A washbowl that is attached to a wall and filled from a water tank fastened above.
[From Latin lavābō, I shall wash (opening word of the recited portion of Psalm 26), first person future tense of lavāre, to wash; see leu(ə)- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -boes or -bos
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms)
a. the ritual washing of the celebrant's hands after the offertory at Mass
b. (as modifier): lavabo basin; lavabo towel.
2. (Furniture) another name for washbasin
3. (Roman Catholic Church) a trough for washing in a convent or monastery
[C19: from Latin: I shall wash, the opening of Psalm 26:6]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
la•va•bo(ləˈveɪ boʊ, -ˈvɑ-)
n., pl. -boes.
a. the ritual washing of the celebrant's hands after the offertory in the mass.
b. the passage recited at this time.
c. the small towel or basin used.
2. a stone basin or trough used for washing.
3. a washbowl with a spigot-equipped water tank above, both mounted on a wall: now often used for decoration.
[1855–60; < Latin lavābō: I shall wash]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lavabo - a basin for washing the hands (`wash-hand basin' is a British expression)|
basin - a bowl-shaped vessel; usually used for holding food or liquids; "she mixed the dough in a large basin"
bathroom, bath - a room (as in a residence) containing a bathtub or shower and usually a washbasin and toilet
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.