Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
laz·a·ret·to(lăz′ə-rĕt′ō) also laz·a·ret or laz·a·rette (-rĕt′)
n. pl. laz·a·ret·tos also laz·a·rets or laz·a·rettes
1. A hospital treating contagious diseases.
2. A building or ship used as a quarantine station.
3. often lazarette A storage space below deck or between decks on a ship or boat.
[Italian lazzaretto : blend of lazzaro, lazar (from Late Latin Lazarus, Lazarus; see lazar) and dialectal Nazareto, popular name for a hospital maintained in Venice by the Church of Santa Maria di Nazaret.]
n, pl -rettos, -rets or -rettes
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical Also called: glory hole a small locker at the stern of a boat or a storeroom between decks of a ship
2. (Historical Terms) Also called: lazar house or pesthouse (formerly) a hospital for persons with infectious diseases, esp leprosy
[C16: Italian, from lazzaro lazar]
laz•a•ret•to(ˌlæz əˈrɛt oʊ)
also laz`a•ret′, laz`a•rette′,
1. a hospital for those affected with contagious diseases, esp. leprosy.
2. a building or a ship set apart for quarantine purposes.
3. a small storeroom within the hull of a ship.
[1540–50; < Venetian lazareto, b. lazzaro lazar and Nazareto popular name of a hospital maintained in Venice by the Church of Santa Maria di Nazaret]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lazaretto - hospital for persons with infectious diseases (especially leprosy)|
|2.||lazaretto - a small locker at the stern of a boat or between decks of a ship|