Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A silvery blue carangid fish (Oligoplites saurus) of eastern Pacific and western Atlantic waters, having leathery skin and yellow fins.
2. Any of various other fishes having tough skin, including the filefishes and the triggerfishes.
1. (Animals) any of various tropical carangid fishes of the genera Oligoplites and Scomberoides, having a leathery skin
2. (Animals) any of various brightly coloured tropical triggerfishes of the genus Monacanthus and related genera
3. (Animals) the greyish-brown tough-skinned larva of certain craneflies, esp of the genus Tipula, which destroy the roots of grasses, etc
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||leatherjacket - any of several brightly colored tropical filefishes|
filefish - narrow flattened warm-water fishes with leathery skin and a long file-like dorsal spine
|2.||leatherjacket - any of several New World tropical fishes having tiny embedded scales|
jack - any of several fast-swimming predacious fishes of tropical to warm temperate seas
|3.||leatherjacket - tough-skinned larva of certain crane flies|
grub - a soft thick wormlike larva of certain beetles and other insects