Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to leeching: Leech therapy
1. Any of various chiefly aquatic carnivorous or bloodsucking annelid worms of the class (or subclass) Hirudinea, of which one species (Hirudo medicinalis) was formerly widely used by physicians for therapeutic bloodletting.
2. One that preys on or clings to another; a parasite.
3. Archaic A physician.
v. leeched, leech·ing, leech·es
1. To bleed with leeches.
2. To drain the essence or exhaust the resources of.
To attach oneself to another in the manner of a leech.
1. Either vertical edge of a square sail.
2. The after edge of a fore-and-aft sail.
The use of bloodsucking leeches for medical purposes, such as drawing off blood or preventing coagulation at a wound.