Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Leghorn: White leghorn
a. The dried and bleached straw of an Italian variety of wheat.
b. A braided fabric made from this straw.
c. A hat made from this fabric.
2. often Leghorn Any of a breed of small, hardy domestic chickens of Mediterranean origin, noted for prolific production of eggs.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a type of Italian wheat straw that is woven into hats
2. (Clothing & Fashion) any hat made from this straw when plaited
[C19: named after Leghorn (Livorno)]
1. (Placename) the English name for Livorno
2. (Breeds) a breed of domestic fowl laying white eggs
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Leg•horn(ˈlɛgˌhɔrn for 1–3; -ərn, -ˌhɔrn for 4 )
1. English name of Livorno.
2. (l.c.) a fine, smooth, plaited straw.
3. (l.c.) a hat made of such straw, often having a broad, soft brim.
4. one of a breed of chickens that are prolific layers of white-shelled eggs.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A breed of chicken.
2. A hat made of straw from an Italian wheat. Such hats were generally for women and were wide-brimmed and flat-topped. The name came from Leghorn, Italy.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||leghorn - a stiff hat made of straw with a flat crown|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Geog) → Livorno nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007