legitimatize(redirected from legitimatized)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to legitimatized: legitimising
tr.v. le·git·i·ma·tized, le·git·i·ma·tiz·ing, le·git·i·ma·tiz·es
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
le•git•i•mate(adj., n. lɪˈdʒɪt ə mɪt; v. -ˌmeɪt)
adj., v. -mat•ed, -mat•ing,
1. according to law; lawful: the property's legitimate owner.
2. in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.
3. born of legally married parents: legitimate children.
4. in accordance with the laws of reasoning; valid; logical: a legitimate conclusion.
5. resting on or ruling by the principle of hereditary right: a legitimate sovereign.
6. justified; genuine: a legitimate complaint.
7. of the normal or regular type or kind.
8. of or pertaining to professionally produced stage plays, as distinguished from burlesque, vaudeville, etc.v.t.
9. to make lawful or legal; pronounce as lawful: Parliament legitimated her accession to the throne.
10. to confer legitimacy upon (a bastard).
11. to show or declare to be legitimate or proper.
12. to justify; sanction or authorize.n.
13. a person who is established as being legitimate.
[1485–95; < Medieval Latin lēgitimātus, past participle of lēgitimāre to make lawful, derivative of Latin lēgitimus lawful, legal <lēg-, s. of lēx law]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: legitimatized
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||legitimatize - make legal; "Marijuana should be legalized"|
countenance, permit, allow, let - consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.