Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to letdown: milk letdown
let·downor let-down (lĕt′doun′)
1. A decrease, decline, or relaxation, as of effort or energy.
2. A disappointment: The cancellation of the game was a real letdown.
3. The descent made by an aircraft in order to land.
4. A physiological response in lactating females, activated usually in response to sucking or crying by an infant, in which milk previously secreted into the alveoli of the breasts is released into the ducts that lead to the nipple.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a disillusionment or disappointment: The news was a letdown.
2. depression; deflation: I felt a terrible letdown after the party.
3. a decrease in volume, force, energy, etc.
4. the descent of an aircraft preparatory to a landing approach.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||letdown - a feeling of dissatisfaction that results when your expectations are not realized; "his hopes were so high he was doomed to disappointment"|
dissatisfaction - the feeling of being displeased and discontent; "he was never slow to express his dissatisfaction with the service he received"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun disappointment, disillusionment, frustration, anticlimax, setback, washout (informal), comedown (informal), disgruntlement There was a great sense of letdown because the doctors had been so confident.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (inf: = disappointment) → Enttäuschung f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
letdownn (obst) reflejo de eyección de la leche (form), bajada de la leche
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.