Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to liege: Liege Lord
A city of eastern Belgium near the Dutch and German borders. First mentioned in 558, it was a noted intellectual center in the Middle Ages. Liège was held by France from 1794 to 1815 and by the Netherlands from 1815 to 1830.
1. A lord or sovereign to whom allegiance and service are due according to feudal law.
2. A vassal or subject owing allegiance and services to a lord or sovereign under feudal law.
3. A loyal subject to a monarch.
a. Entitled to the loyalty and services of vassals or subjects: a liege lord.
b. Bound to give such allegiance and services to a lord or monarch.
2. Loyal; faithful.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (of a lord) owed feudal allegiance (esp in the phrase liege lord)
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (of a vassal or servant) owing feudal allegiance: a liege subject.
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) of or relating to the relationship or bond between liege lord and liegeman: liege homage.
4. faithful; loyal
5. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a liege lord
6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a liegeman or true subject
[C13: from Old French lige, from Medieval Latin līticus, from lītus, laetus serf, of Germanic origin]
Liège(lɪˈeɪʒ; French ljɛʒ)
nFlemish name: Luik
1. (Placename) a province of E Belgium: formerly a principality of the Holy Roman Empire, much larger than the present-day province. Pop: 1 029 605 (2004 est). Area: 3877 sq km (1497 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a city in E Belgium, capital of Liège province: the largest French-speaking city in Belgium; river port and industrial centre. Pop: 185 488 (2004 est)
1. a feudal lord entitled to allegiance and service.
2. a feudal vassal or subject.adj.
3. entitled to or owing feudal allegiance and service.
4. pertaining to the relation between a feudal vassal and lord.
5. loyal; faithful.
[1250–1300; Middle English < Old French li(e)ge « Germanic *lēt- vassal + Latin -icus -ic]
1. a province in E Belgium. 1,019,226; 1521 sq. mi. (3940 sq. km). Cap.: Liège.
2. the capital of this province, on the Meuse River. 200,312.Flemish, Luik.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||liege - a person holding a fief; a person who owes allegiance and service to a feudal lord|
follower - a person who accepts the leadership of another
|2.||liege - a feudal lord entitled to allegiance and service|
|3.||Liege - city in eastern Belgium; largest French-speaking city in Belgium|
|Adj.||1.||liege - owing or owed feudal allegiance and service; "one's liege lord"; "a liege subject"|
loyal - steadfast in allegiance or duty; "loyal subjects"; "loyal friends stood by him"