Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Transportation of goods on a lighter.
2. The fee charged for lightering.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) the conveyance or loading and unloading of cargo by means of a lighter
2. (Nautical Terms) the charge for this service
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
light•er•age(ˈlaɪ tər ɪdʒ)
1. the use of lighters in loading or unloading ships and in transporting goods for short distances.
2. a fee paid for lighter service.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A small craft designed to transport cargo or personnel from ship to shore. Lighterage includes amphibians, landing craft, discharge lighters, causeways, and barges.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
a fee charged for transportation by lighter.See also: Dues and Payment
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lighterage - the fee charged for carrying goods in lighters|
fee - a fixed charge for a privilege or for professional services
|2.||lighterage - the transportation of goods on a lighter|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.