Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several varieties of a tropical American plant (Phaseolus lunatus) having flat pods containing large light-green or white edible seeds.
2. A seed of this plant. In both senses also called regionally butter bean.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
lima bean(ˈlaɪmə; ˈliː-)
1. (Plants) any of several varieties of the bean plant, Phaseolus lunatus (or P. limensis), native to tropical America but cultivated in the US for its flat pods containing pale green edible seeds
2. (Plants) the seed of such a plant
[C19: named after Lima]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
li′ma bean`(ˈlaɪ mə)
1. a bean, Phaseolus limensis, having a broad, flat, edible seed.
2. the seed.
[1810–20; after Lima, Peru]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lima bean - bush bean plant cultivated especially in southern United States having small flat edible seeds|
|2.||lima bean - bush or tall-growing bean plant having large flat edible seeds|
lima bean - broad flat beans simmered gently; never eaten raw
|3.||lima bean - broad flat beans simmered gently; never eaten raw|
shell bean - unripe beans removed from the pod before cooking
Fordhooks - relatively large lima beans
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.