Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
any of various marine gastropod mollusks with a shallow conical shell and a broad muscular foot that sticks tightly to rocks: stuck like limpets to the spot, lest they forgot
Not to be confused with:
limpid – clear, transparent, as water or eyes: a limpid pool; lucid; easily comprehended: a limpid style of writing
1. Any of numerous marine gastropod mollusks that have a conical shell and often adhere to rocks in intertidal areas, especially those of the order Patellogastropoda.
2. One that clings persistently.
3. A type of explosive designed to cling to the hull of a ship and detonate on contact or signal.
[Probably Middle English lempet, limpet (sense uncertain); akin to Old English lamprede, lempedu, lamprey (both the limpet and the lamprey being noted for their powerful suckers), from Medieval Latin lamprēda; see lamprey.]
1. (Animals) any of numerous marine gastropods, such as Patella vulgata (common limpet) and Fissurella (or Diodora) apertura (keyhole limpet), that have a conical shell and are found clinging to rocks
2. (Animals) any of various similar freshwater gastropods, such as Ancylus fluviatilis (river limpet)
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) (modifier) relating to or denoting certain weapons that are attached to their targets by magnetic or adhesive properties and resist removal: limpet mines.
4. (Nautical Terms) a small open caisson shaped to fit against a dock wall, used mainly in repair work
[Old English lempedu, from Latin lepas, from Greek]
any of various marine gastropods with a low conical shell open beneath, usu. adhering to rocks.
[before 1050; Middle English lempet, Old English lempedu, alter. of *lepedu < Latin lepada, acc. of lepas < Greek lepás limpet]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||limpet - mollusk with a low conical shell |
shellfish - meat of edible aquatic invertebrate with a shell (especially a mollusk or crustacean)
|2.||limpet - any of various usually marine gastropods with low conical shells; found clinging to rocks in littoral areas|
seasnail - any of several creeping marine gastropods with a spirally coiled shell: whelks; tritons; moon shells; neritids
tapadó tengeri csiga
sæsnigill af òarahettuætt
a type of small, cone-shaped shellfish that fastens itself very firmly to rocks. klipmossel بَطْلينوس: حَيوان من الرَّخَوِيّات يَلْتَصِق بالصُّخور вид мида lapa přílipka; kuželnatka die Napfschnecke albueskæl πεταλίδαlapa meritigu صدف کوهی maljakotilo bernique שַׁבּלוּל עֲלוּקָה घोंघा lupar, priljepak tapadó tengeri csiga teritip sæsnigill af þarahettuætt patella かさがい 삿갓조개 비슷한 권패(卷貝) geldelė siput zeeslaksyrin !!skałoczep غرنى صدف lapa melc turtit, scoică necomestibilă блюдечко mištička; kužeľovka prilepek prilepak skålsnäcka หอยทะเลที่มักพบติดอยู่ตามหินใต้น้ำ deniz salyangozu 笠貝 блюдечко ایک قسم کا گھونگا con hà 帽贝