Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to lineal: Lineal foot
being in the direct line, as a descendant: lineal heir
Not to be confused with:
linear – consisting of or using lines: linear design
1. Belonging to or being in the direct line of descent from an ancestor.
2. Derived from or relating to a particular line of descent; hereditary.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin līneālis, consisting of lines, from Latin līnea, line; see line1.]
1. being in a direct line of descent from an ancestor
2. of, involving, or derived from direct descent
3. a less common word for linear
[C14: via Old French from Late Latin līneālis, from Latin līnea line1]
lin•e•al(ˈlɪn i əl)
1. being in the direct line, as a descendant or ancestor, or in a direct line, as descent or succession.
2. of or transmitted by lineal descent.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||lineal - in a straight unbroken line of descent from parent to child; "lineal ancestors"; "lineal heirs"; "a direct descendant of the king"; "direct heredity"|
related - connected by kinship, common origin, or marriage
|2.||lineal - arranged in a line|
Of unbroken descent or lineage: