lingual(redirected from lingual ridge)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to lingual ridge: cuspids
1. Of, relating to, or situated near the tongue or a tonguelike organ.
2. Linguistics Pronounced with the tongue in conjunction with other organs of speech.
3. Of languages; linguistic: lingual diversity.
A sound, such as (t), (l), and (n), that is pronounced with the tongue and other organs of speech.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) anatomy of or relating to the tongue or a part or structure resembling a tongue
a. rare of or relating to language or languages
b. (in combination): polylingual.
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) articulated with the tongue
(Phonetics & Phonology) a lingual consonant, such as Scots (r)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to the tongue or some tonguelike part.
2. pertaining to languages.
3. articulated with the aid of the tongue, esp. the tip of the tongue, as the sound (d) or (n).n.
4. a lingual speech sound.
[1350–1400; Middle English: tongue-shaped surgical instrument < Medieval Latin linguālis]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lingual - a consonant that is produced with the tongue and other speech organs|
consonant - a speech sound that is not a vowel
|Adj.||1.||lingual - consisting of or related to language; "linguistic behavior"; "a linguistic atlas"; "lingual diversity"|
|2.||lingual - pertaining to or resembling or lying near the tongue; "lingual inflammation"; "the lingual surface of the teeth"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
a. lingual, rel. a la lengua.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012