raft(redirected from Lipid raft)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Lipid raft: Caveolae
1. A flat structure, typically made of planks, logs, or barrels, that floats on water and is used for transport or as a platform for swimmers.
2. A flatbottom inflatable craft for floating or drifting on water: shooting the rapids in a rubber raft.
v. raft·ed, raft·ing, rafts
1. To convey on a raft.
2. To make into a raft.
To travel by raft.
[Middle English, from Old Norse raptr, beam, rafter.]
A great number, amount, or collection: "As the prairie dog goes, conservation biologists say, so may go a raft of other creatures" (William K. Stevens).
1. (Nautical Terms) a buoyant platform of logs, planks, etc, used as a vessel or moored platform
2. (Building) a thick slab of reinforced concrete laid over soft ground to provide a foundation for a building
(Nautical Terms) to convey on or travel by raft, or make a raft from
[C15: from Old Norse raptr rafter]
informal a large collection or amount: a raft of old notebooks discovered in a cupboard.
[C19: from raff]
1. a more or less rigid floating platform made of buoyant materials: an inflatable rubber raft.
2. a collection of logs, planks, casks, etc., fastened together for floating on water.
3. life raft.
4. a slab of reinforced concrete providing a footing on yielding soil, usu. for a whole building.v.t.
5. to transport on a raft.
6. to form (logs or the like) into a raft.
7. to travel or cross by raft.
8. (of an ice floe) to transport (embedded organic or rock debris) from the shore out to sea.v.i.
9. to use a raft; go or travel on a raft.
[1250–1300; Middle English rafte, perhaps < Old Norse raptr rafter1]
a great quantity; a lot.
[1825–35; variant of raff in sense “large number” (Middle English: abundance)]
Rafta large collection of people or things taken indiscriminately; a dense flock of swimming birds; a collection of logs; fallen trees.
Examples: raft of auks (at sea); of swimming birds; of books; of crocodiles, 1774; of fellows, 1833; of folk; of logs; of masts, 1497; of people; of reporters; of tamarisk, 1822; of timber, 1745; of trees, 1806; of fallen trees; of verdure, 1876.
Past participle: rafted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||raft - a flat float (usually made of logs or planks) that can be used for transport or as a platform for swimmers|
float - something that floats on the surface of water
|2.||raft - (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters"; "a deal of trouble"; "a lot of money"; "he made a mint on the stock market"; "see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"; "it must have cost plenty"; "a slew of journalists"; "a wad of money"|
good deal, great deal, hatful, lot, muckle, passel, peck, mickle, mint, quite a little, slew, spate, tidy sum, wad, stack, mountain, pile, plenty, mass, batch, heap, deal, flock, pot, mess, sight
large indefinite amount, large indefinite quantity - an indefinite quantity that is above the average in size or magnitude
deluge, flood, inundation, torrent - an overwhelming number or amount; "a flood of requests"; "a torrent of abuse"
haymow - a mass of hay piled up in a barn for preservation
|Verb||1.||raft - transport on a raft; "raft wood down a river"|
raft - travel by raft in water; "Raft the Colorado River"
transport - move something or somebody around; usually over long distances
|2.||raft - travel by raft in water; "Raft the Colorado River"|
go, locomote, move, travel - change location; move, travel, or proceed, also metaphorically; "How fast does your new car go?"; "We travelled from Rome to Naples by bus"; "The policemen went from door to door looking for the suspect"; "The soldiers moved towards the city in an attempt to take it before night fell"; "news travelled fast"
raft - transport on a raft; "raft wood down a river"
|3.||raft - make into a raft; "raft these logs"|
n → Floß nt
raft[rɑːft] n → zattera
a number of logs, planks etc fastened together and used as a boat. vlot رَمْث، طَوْف сал jangada vor das Floß tømmerflåde σχεδίαbalsa parv کلک؛ قایق الواری lautta radeauרפסודה लठ्ठों का बेड़ा splav tutaj rakit (timbur)fleki zattera いかだ 뗏목 plaustas plosts rakit vlotflåtetratwa دړى چمبې، تمبى، هغه دړى چه يو له بله سره ولګول شى اوداو بوپه سرلامبو ووهله شى jangada plută плот plť splav splav flotte แพ sal 木筏 пліт لکڑیوں کا گٹھا جو کشتی کا کام دیتا ہے bè gỗ 木筏