lipreading


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

lip•read•ing

(ˈlɪpˌri dɪŋ)

n.
a method, as by a deaf person, of understanding spoken words by interpreting the movements of a speaker's lips without hearing the sounds made.
[1870–75]
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.lipreading - perceiving what a person is saying by observing the movements of the lips
sensing, perception - becoming aware of something via the senses
References in periodicals archive ?
I have no problem with that but then my lipreading skills aren't that great.
Techniques for assessing auditory speech perception and lipreading enhancement in young deaf children.
But she can't communicate as well as she would like because we're reliant on lipreading and that's difficult with the palsy and she gets very frustrated because she's six and has a lot to say.
And the better a person is at lipreading, the more neural activity there is in the brain's auditory cortex, scientists reported April 4.
We offer training courses in British Sign Language, Lipreading and Deaf Awareness.
Jeffers and Barley (as cited in Roe & Roe, 1991) pointed out that lipreading is insufficient because only about 40% of English speech sounds are visible on the mouth; this means that the other 60% of English speech sounds, including half of the vowels and diphthongs and three fifths of the consonants, are not visible on the mouth.
The problem with lipreading is that spoken language has too many visual homonyms--words that sound differently but look alike on the lips.
Thus alone can communicate anytime, anywhere, with anyone in the field, instantly and flexibly - according to current needs and without an interpreter or lipreading.
A LIPREADING class at Middlesbrough Deaf Centre has been saved from closure.
In the United States, deaf patients who use American Sign Language (ASL) typically communicate with their non-signing healthcare providers in one of two ways: in signed language (through an interpreter) or in English (by writing notes, lipreading, speaking, or a combination of these approaches).
A BIRMINGHAM MP is backing a hearing charity's call for more lipreading classes in the city.
They tried some lipreading techniques and British sign language, learned some interesting facts and presented ideas to Action for Hearing Loss staff to consider.