Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A local linguistic feature.
b. A local custom or peculiarity.
2. Devotion to local interests and customs.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the policy of devolving power from a central or federal government to local bodies
2. (Linguistics) a pronunciation, phrase, etc, peculiar to a particular locality
3. another word for provincialism
lo•cal•ism(ˈloʊ kəˌlɪz əm)
1. a word, phrase, pronunciation, or manner of speaking that is peculiar to one locality.
2. a local custom.
3. excessive devotion to and promotion of the interests of a particular locality; sectionalism.
a custom or manner of speaking peculiar to one locality. Also called provincialism. — localist, n. — localistic, adj.See also: Language
A word or expression that is only used in a particular place.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||localism - a phrase or pronunciation that is peculiar to a particular locality|
non-standard speech - speech that differs from the usual accepted, easily recognizable speech of native adult members of a speech community
|2.||localism - a partiality for some particular place|