Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A self-propelled vehicle, usually electric, diesel, or steam-powered, for pulling or pushing freight or passenger cars on railroad tracks.
2. A driving or pulling force; an impetus: "The US could no longer serve as the locomotive for the world economy" (George Soros).
a. Of, relating to, or involved in locomotion.
b. Serving to put into motion or propel forward: "It may be that the founding fathers overestimated the locomotive force of the collective and mutual self-interest" (Ian Davidson).
2. Able to move independently from place to place.
3. Of or relating to a self-propelled locomotive.
4. Of or relating to travel.
[Latin locō, from a place, ablative of locus, place + Medieval Latin mōtīvus, causing motion; see motive.]
a. Also called: locomotive engine a self-propelled engine driven by steam, electricity, or diesel power and used for drawing trains along railway tracks
b. (as modifier): a locomotive shed; a locomotive works.
1. of or relating to locomotion
2. moving or able to move, as by self-propulsion
lo•co•mo•tive(ˌloʊ kəˈmoʊ tɪv)
1. a self-propelled, vehicular engine for pulling or, sometimes, pushing a train or individual railroad cars.
2. an organized group cheer, as at an athletic contest, that progressively increases in speed.
3. Archaic. any self-propelled vehicle.adj.
4. of or pertaining to locomotives.
5. of, pertaining to, or aiding in locomotion.
6. moving or traveling by means of its own mechanism or powers.
7. serving to produce such movement: locomotive organs.
[1605–15; < Latin locō, abl. of locus place + motive (adj.); compare Medieval Latin in locō movērī to change position]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||locomotive - a wheeled vehicle consisting of a self-propelled engine that is used to draw trains along railway tracks|
choo-choo - a child's word for locomotive
diesel locomotive - a locomotive driven by a diesel engine
electric locomotive - a locomotive that is powered by an electric motor
cowcatcher, fender, buffer, pilot - an inclined metal frame at the front of a locomotive to clear the track
footplate - the platform in the cab of a locomotive on which the engineer stands to operate the controls
iron horse - (c. 1840) an early term for a locomotive
pilot engine - a locomotive that precedes a train to check the track
self-propelled vehicle - a wheeled vehicle that carries in itself a means of propulsion
shunter - a small locomotive used to move cars around but not to make trips
steam locomotive - a locomotive powered by a steam engine
tank engine, tank locomotive - a locomotive that carries its own fuel and water; no tender is needed
traction engine - steam-powered locomotive for drawing heavy loads along surfaces other than tracks
|Adj.||1.||locomotive - of or relating to locomotion|
locomotive[ˌləʊkəˈməʊtɪv] n → locomotive f
adj → Fortbewegungs-; locomotive power → Fortbewegungsfähigkeit f
n → Lokomotive f
locomotive[ˌləʊkəˈməʊtɪv] n (Rail) → locomotiva
a railway engine. lokomotief قاطِرَه локомотив locomotiva lokomotiva die Lokomotive lokomotiv ατμομηχανήlocomotora vedur لوکوموتیو veturi locomotiveקטר संचलनशील lokomotiva mozdony lokomotif eimreið locomotiva 機関車 기관차 lokomotyvas lokomotīve lokomotif locomotieflokomotivlokomotywa لوكوموتيف،د اورګاډى ماشين locomotiva locomotivă локомотив lokomotíva lokomotiva lokomotiva lokomotiv หัวรถจักร lokomotif 火車頭 локомотив; паровоз ریل کا انجن đầu máy xe lửa 火车头ˌlocoˈmotion (-ˈməuʃən) noun
the process of moving from place to place. (voort)beweging; verplasing تَحَرُّك، إنْتِقال придвижване locomoção schopnost pohybu die Fortbewegung bevægelse κίνησηlocomoción liikumine نقل و انتقال liikkuminen locomotion יְכוֹלֶת תְּנוּעָה इंजन premještanje helyváltoztatás proses gerakan hreyfing locomozione 移動 이동, 전위 judėjimas pārvietošanās gerak alih voortbewegingbevegelse lokomocja له يو ځاى نه بل ځاى ته وړل locomoção locomoţie передвижение schopnosť pohybu gibanje promena mesta förflyttning, rörelse การเคลื่อนไหว hareket 移動，位移 пересування متحرک ہونے کی کیفیت sự vận động 运动，移动，转位