Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. A durable, water-repellent, coarse woolen fabric used chiefly for coats and jackets.
2. A deep olive green.
[German, coarse fabric, from Middle High German lode, from Old High German lodo.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a thick heavy waterproof woollen cloth with a short pile, used to make garments, esp coats
2. (Colours) a dark bluish-green colour, in which the cloth is often made
[German, from Old High German lodo thick cloth, perhaps related to Old English lotha cloak]
1. a sturdy, water-repellent cloth, usu. of coarse wool.
2. Also called lo′den green′. the deep olive green color of this fabric.
[1910–15; < German; Old High German lodo; compare Old English lotha cloak]