Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A loggerhead turtle.
2. An iron tool consisting of a long handle with a bulbous end, used when heated to melt tar or warm liquids.
3. Nautical A post on a whaleboat used to secure the harpoon rope.
4. Informal A blockhead; a dolt.
Engaged in a dispute: The question of car privileges put Sam and his parents at loggerheads.
1. (Animals) Also called: loggerhead turtle a large-headed turtle, Caretta caretta, occurring in most seas: family Chelonidae
2. (Animals) loggerhead shrike a North American shrike, Lanius ludovicianus, having a grey head and body, black-and-white wings and tail, and black facial stripe
3. (Tools) a tool consisting of a large metal sphere attached to a long handle, used for warming liquids, melting tar, etc
4. (Fishing) a strong round upright post in a whaleboat for belaying the line of a harpoon
5. archaic or dialect a blockhead; dunce
6. at loggerheads engaged in dispute or confrontation
[C16: probably from dialect logger wooden block + head]
log•ger•head(ˈlɔ gərˌhɛd, ˈlɒg ər-)
1. a thick-headed or stupid person; blockhead.
4. a ball or bulb of iron with a long handle, used, after being heated, to melt tar, heat liquids, etc.Idioms:
at loggerheads, in conflict; quarreling.
[1580–90; logger block of wood (first attested alone in 18th century) + head]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||loggerhead - a stupid person; these words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence|
blockhead, bonehead, dumbass, dunce, dunderhead, fuckhead, hammerhead, knucklehead, lunkhead, muttonhead, numskull, shithead
|2.||loggerhead - very large carnivorous sea turtle; wide-ranging in warm open seas|
marine turtle, sea turtle - any of various large turtles with limbs modified into flippers; widely distributed in warm seas