Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An operator or a system that places long-distance telephone calls.
2. A long-distance telephone call.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
telephone service between distant places.
1. of, from, or between distant places: a long-distance phone call.
2. for, over, or covering long distances: a long-distance runner.adv.
3. by long-distance telephone service: to call someone long-distance.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||long distance - a telephone call made outside the local calling area; "I talked to her by long distance"|
call, phone call, telephone call - a telephone connection; "she reported several anonymous calls"; "he placed a phone call to London"; "he heard the phone ringing but didn't want to take the call"
toll call - a long-distance telephone call at charges above a local rate
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.