Also found in: Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. One dedicated to the arts and especially to classical music.
2. One whose taste in the arts is considered to be overrefined.
3. A person with long hair, especially a hippie.
4. A domestic cat with a long-haired coat, such as a Persian cat.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
informal US a man with long hair
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Informal: Sometimes Disparaging. an intellectual.
2. Informal. a person devoted to the arts, esp. a lover of classical music.
3. Informal: Sometimes Disparaging. a person having long hair, esp. a hippie.
4. a domestic cat having long fur.adj.
5. having long hair: a longhair cat.
6. Informal: Sometimes Disparaging. of or characteristic of longhairs or their tastes.Also, long′haired`.
usage: Definitions 1, 3, and 6 are sometimes used with disparaging intent.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.