dagger(redirected from look daggers at)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A short pointed weapon with sharp edges.
2. Something that agonizes, torments, or wounds.
a. See obelisk.
b. A double dagger.
look daggers at
To glare at angrily or hatefully.
[Middle English daggere, alteration of Old French dague, from Old Provençal dague or Old Italian daga, both perhaps from Vulgar Latin *dāca (ēnsis), Dacian (knife), from feminine of Latin Dācus.]
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a short stabbing weapon with a pointed blade
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) Also called: obelisk a character (†) used in printing to indicate a cross reference, esp to a footnote
3. at daggers drawn in a state of open hostility
4. look daggers to glare with hostility; scowl
5. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) to mark with a dagger
6. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) archaic to stab with a dagger
[C14: of uncertain origin]
1. a short, swordlike weapon with a pointed blade and a handle, used for stabbing.
2. Also called obelisk. a printer's mark (†) used esp. for references.v.t.
3. to stab with or as if with a dagger.
4. to mark with a printer's dagger.Idioms:
look daggers at, to look at with intense hostility or anger.
[1350–1400; Middle English, probably alter. of Old French dague, of obscure orig.; compare dag]
Past participle: daggered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dagger - a short knife with a pointed blade used for piercing or stabbing|
dirk - a relatively long dagger with a straight blade
hilt - the handle of a sword or dagger
kirpan - a ceremonial four-inch curved dagger that Sikh men and women are obliged to wear at all times
knife - a weapon with a handle and blade with a sharp point
stiletto - a small dagger with a tapered blade
|2.||dagger - a character used in printing to indicate a cross reference or footnote|
noun knife, blade, bayonet, dirk, stiletto, poniard, skean The man raised his arm and plunged a dagger into her back.
at daggers drawn on bad terms, at odds, at war, at loggerheads, up in arms, at enmity She and her mother were at daggers drawn.
pumnalsemn de carte
a knife or short sword for stabbing. dolk خَنْجَر кинжал adaga dýka der Dolch dolk; daggert στιλέτοdaga, puñal pistoda خنجر؛ دشنه tikari poignardפגיון छुरा, कटार bodež tőr belati rÿtingur pugnale 短刀 단검 durklas duncis pisau belati dolkdolk, daggertsztylet خنجر: چاړه adaga pumnal кинжал dýka bodalo bodež dolk กริช hançer, kama 匕首, 短劍 кинджал وار کرنے والا ایک خنجر یا چھوٹی تلوار dao găm 匕首, 短剑