Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
loon·yor loon·ey also lun·y (lo͞o′nē)Informal
adj. loon·i·er, loon·i·est also lun·i·er or lun·i·est
1. Extremely foolish or silly.
2. Mentally deranged; crazy.
n. pl. loon·ies or loon·eys also lun·ies
A foolish or crazy person.
adj, loonier, looniest, lunier or luniest
1. lunatic; insane
2. foolish or ridiculous
n, pl loonies, looneys or lunies
a foolish or insane person
ˈlooniness, ˈluniness n
or loon•ey(ˈlu ni)
adj. -i•er, -i•est, adj.
1. lunatic; insane.
2. extremely or senselessly foolish.n.
3. a lunatic.
[1860–65; lun (atic) + -y2]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||loony - someone deranged and possibly dangerous|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|Adj.||1.||loony - informal or slang terms for mentally irregular; "it used to drive my husband balmy"|
bats, batty, bonkers, buggy, crackers, daft, dotty, haywire, kookie, kooky, loco, around the bend, balmy, nuts, round the bend, wacky, whacky, nutty, barmy, loopy, fruity, cracked
insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"
1. Slang, insane, strange, mental (slang), mad, out there (slang), crazy (informal), nuts (slang), bananas (slang), barking (slang), raving, distracted, eccentric, frantic, frenzied, unstable, crackers (Brit. slang), batty (slang), crazed, lunatic, psychotic, demented, cuckoo (informal), unbalanced, barmy (slang), nutty (slang), deranged, delirious, rabid, bonkers (slang, chiefly Brit.), flaky (U.S. slang), unhinged, loopy (informal), crackpot (informal), out to lunch (informal), round the bend (Brit. slang), barking mad (slang), out of your mind, gonzo (slang), screwy (informal), doolally (slang), off your head (slang), off your trolley (slang), round the twist (Brit. slang), up the pole (informal), of unsound mind, as daft as a brush (informal, chiefly Brit.), lost your marbles (informal), not right in the head, non compos mentis (Latin), off your rocker (slang), not the full shilling (informal), off your nut (slang), off your chump (slang), wacko or whacko (informal) She's as loony as her brother!
1. Informal. So senseless as to be laughable:
absurd, foolish, harebrained, idiotic, imbecilic, insane, lunatic, mad, moronic, nonsensical, preposterous, silly, softheaded, tomfool, unearthly, zany.
2. Informal. Afflicted with or exhibiting irrationality and mental unsoundness:
brainsick, crazy, daft, demented, disordered, distraught, dotty, insane, lunatic, mad, maniac, maniacal, mentally ill, moonstruck, off, touched, unbalanced, unsound, wrong.
Chiefly British: crackers.
Law: non compos mentis.