Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to loosestrife: yellow loosestrife
1. Any of various plants of the genus Lythrum, having spikes of purple or white flowers, especially the purple loosestrife.
2. Any of various perennial plants of the genus Lysimachia, having usually yellow flowers.
[Mistranslation of Latin lȳsimachīa (as if from Greek lusis, loosening + Greek makhē, battle), from Greek lūsimakheios, perhaps after Lūsimakhos, Lysimachos, Greek physician of the fifth or fourth century bc.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of various primulaceous plants of the genus Lysimachia, esp the yellow-flowered L. vulgaris (yellow loosestrife). See also moneywort
2. (Plants) purple loosestrife a purple-flowered lythraceous marsh plant, Lythrum salicaria
3. (Plants) any of several similar or related plants, such as the primulaceous plant Naumburgia thyrsiflora (tufted loosestrife)
[C16: loose + strife, an erroneous translation of Latin lysimachia, as if from Greek lusimakhos ending strife, instead of from the name of the supposed discoverer, Lusimakhos]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of various plants belonging to the genus Lysimachia, of the primrose family, having clusters of usu. yellow flowers.
2. any of several plants belonging to the genus Lythrum, of the loosestrife family. Compare purple loosestrife.
[1540–50; translation of Latin lȳsimachīa < Greek lȳsimácheios, allegedly after a certain Lysímachos]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||loosestrife - any of numerous herbs and subshrubs of the genus Lythrum|
Lythrum salicaria, purple loosestrife, spiked loosestrife - marsh herb with a long spike of purple flowers; originally of Europe but now rampant in eastern United States
grass poly, hyssop loosestrife, Lythrum hyssopifolia - annual with small solitary pink flowers; originally of Europe but widely naturalized in moist areas
|2.||loosestrife - any of various herbs and subshrubs of the genus Lysimachia|
genus Lysimachia, Lysimachia - loosestrife: a cosmopolitan genus found in damp or swampy terrain having usually yellow flowers; inclined to be invasive
garden loosestrife, Lysimachia vulgaris, yellow loosestrife - frequently considered a weed; Europe and Asia
Lysimachia terrestris, swamp candles - North American plant with spikes of yellow flowers, found in wet places
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.