Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to lordosis: cervical lordosis
n. pl. lor·do·ses (-sēz)
1. An abnormal forward curvature of the spine in the lumbar region.
2. The mating posture displayed by female rodents and certain other mammals, in which the back is arched downward and the hindquarters are raised.
[Greek lordōsis, from lordos, bent backward.]
lor·dot′ic (-dŏt′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Pathology) pathol forward curvature of the lumbar spine: congenital or caused by trauma or disease. Nontechnical name: hollow-back Compare kyphosis, scoliosis
2. (Zoology) zoology concave arching of the back occurring in many female animals during sexual stimulation
[C18: New Latin from Greek lordōsis, from lordos bent backwards]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an abnormal forward curvature of the spine, resulting in a swaybacked posture. Compare kyphosis, scoliosis.
2. a posture assumed by some female mammals during mating, in which the back arches downward.
[1695–1705; < Greek lórdōsis < lordō-, variant s. of lordoûn to bend back]
lor•dot′ic (-ˈdɒt ɪk) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
any abnormal curvature of the bones, especially forward curvature of the spine, resulting in a hollow in the back. — lordotic, adj.See also: Body, Human, Bones
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Abnormal inward curvature of the lower spine.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
n. lordosis, curva exagerada; aumento exagerado hacia adelante de la concavidad de la columna lumbar.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
lordosisn lordosis f
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.