lottery(redirected from lotteries)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. lot·ter·ies
1. A contest in which tokens are distributed or sold, the winning token or tokens being secretly predetermined or ultimately selected in a random drawing.
2. A selection made by lot from a number of applicants or competitors: The state uses a lottery to assign spaces in the campground.
3. An activity or event regarded as having an outcome depending on fate: They considered combat duty a lottery.
[French loterie, probably from Dutch loterije, from Middle Dutch, from lot, lot.]
n, pl -teries
1. (Games, other than specified) a method of raising money by selling numbered tickets and giving a proportion of the money raised to holders of numbers drawn at random
2. (Games, other than specified) a similar method of raising money in which players select a small group of numbers out of a larger group printed on a ticket. If a player's selection matches some or all of the numbers drawn at random the player wins a proportion of the prize fund
3. an activity or endeavour the success of which is regarded as a matter of fate or luck
[C16: from Old French loterie, from Middle Dutch loterije. See lot]
lot•ter•y(ˈlɒt ə ri)
n., pl. -ter•ies.
1. a gambling game or method of raising money in which a large number of tickets are sold and a drawing is held for prizes.
2. a drawing of lots.
3. any happening or process that is or appears to be determined by chance: Life is a lottery.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lottery - something that is regarded as a chance event; "the election was just a lottery to them"|
|2.||lottery - players buy (or are given) chances and prizes are distributed by casting lots|
tombola - a lottery in which tickets are drawn from a revolving drum
lucky dip - a game in which prizes (e.g., candies or coins) are concealed in a container and for a small sum a player can draw one out at random
raffle - a lottery in which the prizes are goods rather than money
sweepstakes - a lottery in which the prize consists of the money paid by the participants
lottery[ˈlɒtərɪ] N → lotería f
lottery[ˈlɒtərɪ] n → lotteria
lottery(ˈlotəri) – plural ˈlotteries – noun
the sharing out of money or prizes won by chance, through drawing lots. They held a public lottery in aid of charity. lotery يانصيب лотария loteria loterie die Lotterie lotteri λαχειοφόρος αγορά lotería loterii بخت آزمایی lotto loterieלוטו लाटरी lutrija lottó undian happdrætti lotteria くじ 복권 loterija loterija loteri loterij lotteri, utlodningloteria لاترى lotaria loterie лотерея lotéria loterija lutrija lotteri สลากกินแบ่ง piyango 抽獎 лотерея قمار بازی xổ số 彩券，抽彩给奖法