Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. lot·tos
1. A game of chance similar to bingo.
2. A lottery, typically with an accumulating jackpot, in which participants play numbers of their choice in a random drawing.
[Italian and French loto, both from French lot, lot, from Old French, from Frankish *lot.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Games, other than specified) Also called: housey-housey a children's game in which numbered discs, counters, etc, are drawn at random and called out, while the players cover the corresponding numbers on cards, the winner being the first to cover all the numbers, a particular row, etc. Compare bingo
2. (Games, other than specified) a lottery
[C18: from Italian, from Old French lot, from Germanic. See lot]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -tos.
1. a game of chance that is similar to bingo.
2. a lottery, esp. one operated by a state government, in which players choose numbers that are matched against those of the official drawing.
[1770–80; < Italian < Germanic; see lot]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lotto - a game in which numbered balls are drawn at random and players cover the corresponding numbers on their cards|
board game - a game played on a specially designed board
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun (Brit., S. African, & N.Z.) lottery, national lottery, draw, raffle, sweepstake If you won the lotto, what would you do with the money?
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002