Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who maintains loyalty to an established government, political party, or sovereign, especially during war or revolutionary change.
2. Loyalist See Tory.
3. Loyalist One who supported the established government of Spain during the Spanish Civil War.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a patriotic supporter of his sovereign or government
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in Northern Ireland) any of the Protestants wishing to retain Ulster's link with Britain
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in North America) an American colonist who supported Britain during the War of American Independence
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in Canada) short for United Empire Loyalist
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (during the Spanish Civil War) a supporter of the republican government
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
loy•al•ist(ˈlɔɪ ə lɪst)
1. a person who remains loyal, esp. to a sovereign or existing government.
2. (sometimes cap.) a person who remained loyal to the British during the American Revolution; Tory.
3. (cap.) an adherent of the republic during the Spanish Civil War who was opposed to Franco.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||loyalist - a person who is loyal to their allegiance (especially in times of revolt)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
loyalist[ˈlɔɪəlɪst] N (gen) → partidario/a m/f del régimen; (in Spain 1936) → republicano/a m/f (N Irl) (Pol) → unionista mf
loyalist paramilitaries (in Northern Ireland) → paramilitares mpl unionistas
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj → loyal; army, troops → regierungstreu
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
loyalist[ˈlɔɪəlɪst] n & adj → lealista (m/f)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995