Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. mac·er·at·ed, mac·er·at·ing, mac·er·ates
1. To make soft by soaking or steeping in a liquid.
2. To separate into constituents by soaking.
3. To cause to become lean, usually by starvation; emaciate.
To become soft or separated into constituents by soaking: "allowed the juice and skins of the white grapes to macerate together overnight before pressing" (Gerald Asher).
A substance prepared or produced by macerating.
mac′er·a′tor, mac′er·at′er n.
1. (General Physics) to soften or separate or be softened or separated as a result of soaking
2. (Cookery) to break up or cause to break up by soaking: macerated peaches.
3. to become or cause to become thin
[C16: from Latin mācerāre to soften]
ˈmacerˌater, ˈmacerˌator n
v. -at•ed, -at•ing. v.t.
1. to soften or separate into parts by steeping in a liquid.
2. to cause to grow thin or waste away.v.i.
3. to become macerated.
[1540–50; < Latin mācerātus, past participle of mācerāre to soak, steep, weaken]
macerate- Meaning "to soften," it comes from Greek massein, "knead."
See also related terms for soften.
Past participle: macerated
To soak food in a liquid.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||macerate - separate into constituents by soaking|
macerate - become soft or separate and disintegrate as a result of excessive soaking; "the tissue macerated in the water"
separate - divide into components or constituents; "Separate the wheat from the chaff"
|2.||macerate - become soft or separate and disintegrate as a result of excessive soaking; "the tissue macerated in the water"|
soften - become soft or softer; "The bread will soften if you pour some liquid on it"
macerate - separate into constituents by soaking
|3.||macerate - soften, usually by steeping in liquid, and cause to disintegrate as a result; "macerate peaches"; "the gizzards macerates the food in the digestive system"|
soften - make soft or softer; "This liquid will soften your laundry"
|4.||macerate - cause to grow thin or weak; "The treatment emaciated him"|
v. macerar; suavizar una materia por medio de inmersión en un líquido.