macro(redirected from macro instructions)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Of great size; large.
2. Large in scope or extent; large-scale: a macro analysis of many reports.
n. pl. mac·ros Computers
1. A single, user-defined command that is part of an application and executes a series of commands.
2. A shorthand representation for a number of lines of code.
[Short for macroinstruction.]
n, pl macros
1. (Photography) a macro lens
2. (Computer Science) Also: macro instruction a single computer instruction that initiates a set of instructions to perform a specific task
adj., n., pl. -ros. adj.
1. very large in scale or capability.
2. of or pertaining to macroeconomics.n.
3. a single computer instruction that represents a sequence of instructions or keystrokes.
[independent use of macro-, or by shortening of words with macro- as initial element; (definition 5) shortening of macroinstruction]
a combining form meaning “large” (macromolecule), “abnormally large” (macrocyte), “major, significant” (macroevolution), “not local, extending over a broad area” (macrocosm), “visible to the naked eye” (macrophyte); often contrasting with micro-.
[< Greek makro-, comb. form of makrós long]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||macro - a single computer instruction that results in a series of instructions in machine language|
|Adj.||1.||macro - very large in scale or scope or capability|
big, large - above average in size or number or quantity or magnitude or extent; "a large city"; "set out for the big city"; "a large sum"; "a big (or large) barn"; "a large family"; "big businesses"; "a big expenditure"; "a large number of newspapers"; "a big group of scientists"; "large areas of the world"