Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
macro-(word root) large
Examples of words with the root macro-: macrocosm
1. Large: macronucleus.
2. Long: macrobiotics.
3. Inclusive: macroinstruction.
macro-or before a vowel
1. large, long, or great in size or duration: macroscopic.
2. (in pathology) indicating abnormal enlargement or overdevelopment: macrocyte. Compare micro-5
3. producing larger than life images: macrophotography.
[from Greek makros large; compare Latin macer meagre]
adj., n., pl. -ros. adj.
1. very large in scale or capability.
2. of or pertaining to macroeconomics.n.
3. a single computer instruction that represents a sequence of instructions or keystrokes.
[independent use of macro-, or by shortening of words with macro- as initial element; (definition 5) shortening of macroinstruction]
a combining form meaning “large” (macromolecule), “abnormally large” (macrocyte), “major, significant” (macroevolution), “not local, extending over a broad area” (macrocosm), “visible to the naked eye” (macrophyte); often contrasting with micro-.
[< Greek makro-, comb. form of makrós long]
A prefix that means "large," as in macronucleus, a large kind of nucleus.