Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Markings in the form of spots on an organism: a thorax with pale maculation.
2. Archaic The act of spotting or staining or the condition of being spotted or stained.
1. (Biology) a pattern of spots, as on certain animals and plants
2. archaic the act of maculating or the state of being maculated
mac•u•la•tion(ˌmæk yəˈleɪ ʃən)
1. the act of spotting.
2. a spotted condition.
3. a pattern of spots or streaks, as on an animal or plant.
4. a disfiguring spot or stain.
[1425–75; late Middle English < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||maculation - a small contrasting part of something; "a bald spot"; "a leopard's spots"; "a patch of clouds"; "patches of thin ice"; "a fleck of red"|
marking - a pattern of marks
nebula - (pathology) a faint cloudy spot on the cornea
splash - a patch of bright color; "her red hat gave her outfit a splash of color"
plaque - (pathology) a small abnormal patch on or inside the body
macule, macula - a patch of skin that is discolored but not usually elevated; caused by various diseases
mock sun, parhelion, sundog - a bright spot on the parhelic circle; caused by diffraction by ice crystals; "two or more parhelia are usually seen at once"
macula, sunspot - a cooler darker spot appearing periodically on the sun's photosphere; associated with a strong magnetic field
facula - a large bright spot on the sun's photosphere occurring most frequently in the vicinity of sunspots
facula - a bright spot on a planet
|2.||maculation - the act of spotting or staining something|