Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Mad·e·moi·selles (-zĕlz) or Mes·de·moi·selles (mād′mwä-zĕl′) Abbr. Mlle
1. Used as a courtesy title before the surname or full name of a girl or an unmarried woman in a French-speaking area: Mademoiselle Turot; Mademoiselle Isabelle Turot. See Usage Note at miss2.
2. mademoiselle Used as a form of polite address for a girl or young woman in a French-speaking area.
3. mademoiselle pl. mademoiselles A French governess.
[French, from Old French ma demoiselle : ma, my; see Madame + demoiselle, young lady (from damisele, from Vulgar Latin *dominicella, diminutive of Latin domina, lady; see Madame).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
mademoiselle(ˌmædmwəˈzɛl; French madmwazɛl)
n, pl mesdemoiselles (ˌmeɪdmwəˈzɛl; French medmwazɛl)
1. a young unmarried French girl or woman: usually used as a title equivalent to Miss
2. a French teacher or governess
[C15: French, from ma my + demoiselle damsel]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mad•e•moi•selle(ˌmæd ə məˈzɛl, ˌmæd mwə-, mæmˈzɛl)
n., pl. mademoiselles,
mes•de•moi•selles (ˌmeɪ də məˈzɛl, -ˈzɛlz, ˌmeɪd mwə-)
1. (often cap.) a French title equivalent to Miss. Abbr.: Mlle.
2. a French governess.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A French word meaning my damsel, used to mean a young unmarried woman.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mademoiselle - small silvery drumfish often mistaken for white perch; found along coasts of United States from New York to Mexico|
drumfish, drum - small to medium-sized bottom-dwelling food and game fishes of shallow coastal and fresh waters that make a drumming noise
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.