Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to a cartridge containing a larger explosive charge than other cartridges of the same size.
2. Designed to shoot magnum cartridges.
1. A magnum cartridge or firearm.
a. A bottle, holding about two fifths of a gallon (1.5 liters), for wine or liquor.
b. The amount of liquid that this bottle can hold.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -nums
(Units) a wine bottle holding the equivalent of two normal bottles (approximately 52 fluid ounces)
[C18: from Latin: a big thing, from magnus large]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a large wine bottle having a capacity of two ordinary bottles, or 1.5 liters (1.6 quarts).
2. a magnum cartridge or firearm.adj.
3. (of a cartridge) equipped with a larger charge than other cartridges of the same size.
4. (of a firearm) using such a cartridge.
[1780–90; < Latin, neuter of magnus large]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A measure of volume, used especially for wine or champagne. 1 magnum = 2⁄5 US gal.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
magnum[ˈmægnəm] n [wine, champagne] → magnum m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → ˜ Anderthalbliterflasche f (esp von Sekt)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
magnum[ˈmægnəm] n (bottle) → magnum m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995