Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. ma·gi (mā′jī′)
1. A member of the Zoroastrian priestly caste of the Medes and Persians.
2. Magus In the New Testament, one of the wise men from the East, traditionally held to be three, who traveled to Bethlehem to pay homage to the infant Jesus.
3. A sorcerer; a magician.
[From Middle English magi, magi, from Latin magī, pl. of magus, sorcerer, magus, from Greek magos, from Old Persian maguš; see magh- in Indo-European roots.]
ma′gi·an (mā′jē-ən) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl magi (ˈmeɪdʒaɪ)
1. (Other Non-Christian Religions) a Zoroastrian priest
2. an astrologer, sorcerer, or magician of ancient times
[C14: from Latin, from Greek magos, from Old Persian magus magician]
(Bible) Simon Magus New Testament a sorcerer who tried to buy spiritual powers from the apostles (Acts 8:9-24)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -gi (-jī).
1. (sometimes l.c.) one of the Magi.
2. (l.c.) a magician; sorcerer.
3. (sometimes l.c.) a Zoroastrian priest.
[1615–25; < Latin < Greek mágos < Old Persian maguš; compare Avestan moγu]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
magus- A person regarded as having great wisdom or powers likened to those of a magician.
See also related terms for magician.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Originally meaning a priest of the Zoroastrian religion, this came to refer to a magician or sorcerer.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||magus - a magician or sorcerer of ancient times|
|2.||magus - a member of the Zoroastrian priesthood of the ancient Persians|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.