Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A woman's one-piece swimsuit usually cut high on the leg.
2. A pair of tights or a leotard made from a stretchable jersey fabric, worn for ballet or gymnastics.
[French, from Old French, swaddling clothes, from maille, mesh, from Latin macula.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) tights worn for ballet, gymnastics, etc
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's swimsuit
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a jersey
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a close-fitting, one-piece bathing suit for women.
2. tights for dancers, acrobats, etc.
3. a close-fitting knitted shirt, esp. a pullover.
[1885–90; < French: tights, swaddling clothes]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||maillot - a woman's one-piece bathing suit|
|2.||maillot - tights for dancers or gymnasts|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.