mainstay(redirected from mainstays)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to mainstays: Walmart
1. A chief support: Agriculture is a mainstay of the economy.
2. Nautical A stay running forward from the mainmast to the deck of a sailing vessel.
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical the forestay that braces the mainmast
2. a chief support
1. a person or thing that acts as a chief support or part.
2. the stay that secures the mainmast forward.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mainstay - a prominent supporter; "he is a pillar of the community"|
|2.||mainstay - a central cohesive source of support and stability; "faith is his anchor"; "the keystone of campaign reform was the ban on soft money"; "he is the linchpin of this firm"|
support - something providing immaterial assistance to a person or cause or interest; "the policy found little public support"; "his faith was all the support he needed"; "the team enjoyed the support of their fans"
|3.||mainstay - the forestay that braces the mainmast|
forestay - an adjustable stay from the foremast to the deck or bowsprit; controls the bending of the mast