inroad(redirected from make inroads on)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to make inroads on: make inroads into
1. An advance, especially at another's expense; an encroachment: "She had made few inroads in convincing the committee to explore the issue without prejudice" (Mary V. Dearborn).
2. A reduction or diminishment, especially by encroachment: "The inroads on free time made by television and computers have also badly affected the vitality of civil society" (Kenneth Minogue).
3. A hostile invasion; a raid.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. an invasion or hostile attack; raid or incursion
2. an encroachment or intrusion
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an advance, usu. beyond proper or established limits: Inflation is making inroads on our savings.
2. a sudden hostile incursion; raid; foray.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||inroad - an encroachment or intrusion; "they made inroads in the United States market"|
|2.||inroad - an invasion or hostile attack|
invasion - the act of invading; the act of an army that invades for conquest or plunder
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
make inroads upon or into something make advances into, make forays into, make raids on, make encroachments into TV has made great inroads into cinema.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007