inroad(redirected from makes inroads on)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to makes inroads on: make inroads into
1. An advance, especially at another's expense; an encroachment: "She had made few inroads in convincing the committee to explore the issue without prejudice" (Mary V. Dearborn).
2. A reduction or diminishment, especially by encroachment: "The inroads on free time made by television and computers have also badly affected the vitality of civil society" (Kenneth Minogue).
3. A hostile invasion; a raid.
1. an invasion or hostile attack; raid or incursion
2. an encroachment or intrusion
1. an advance, usu. beyond proper or established limits: Inflation is making inroads on our savings.
2. a sudden hostile incursion; raid; foray.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||inroad - an encroachment or intrusion; "they made inroads in the United States market"|
|2.||inroad - an invasion or hostile attack|
invasion - the act of invading; the act of an army that invades for conquest or plunder
make inroads upon or into something make advances into, make forays into, make raids on, make encroachments into TV has made great inroads into cinema.