Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
make·upor make-up (māk′ŭp′)
1. The way in which something is composed or arranged; composition or construction.
2. Printing The arrangement or composition, as of type or illustrations, on a page or in a book.
3. The qualities or temperament that constitute a personality; disposition: Lying is not in her makeup.
4. Cosmetics applied especially to the face.
5. Materials, such as cosmetics and costumes, that an actor or actress uses in portraying a role.
6. A special examination for a student who has been absent from or has failed a previous examination.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. cosmetics for the face or some part of it: eye makeup.
2. a lotion, cream, or the like applied to the skin, esp. of the face, as to enhance or disguise its color.
3. the application of cosmetics.
4. the total ensemble of cosmetics, costumes, etc., used by a theatrical performer.
5. the manner of being put together; composition.
6. physical or mental constitution: the makeup of a criminal.
a. the act or process of arranging the type, illustrations, etc., on each page of a publication.
b. the appearance of a page, as a result of such arrangement.
8. an examination, assignment, or the like given to offset a student's previous absence or failure.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||makeup - cosmetics applied to the face to improve or change your appearance|
blackface - the makeup (usually burnt cork) used by a performer in order to imitate a Negro
cosmetic - a toiletry designed to beautify the body
eyebrow pencil - makeup provided by a cosmetic pencil that is used to darken the eyebrows
eyeliner - makeup applied to emphasize the shape of the eyes
eyeshadow - makeup consisting of a cosmetic substance used to darken the eyes
face powder - cosmetic powder for the face
greasepaint - a greasy substance used as makeup by actors
kohl - a cosmetic preparation used by women in Egypt and Arabia to darken the edges of their eyelids
lip-gloss - makeup that makes the lips shiny
mascara - makeup that is used to darken and thicken the eye lashes
|2.||makeup - an event that is substituted for a previously cancelled event; "he missed the test and had to take a makeup"; "the two teams played a makeup one week later"|
event - something that happens at a given place and time
|3.||makeup - the way in which someone or something is composed|
property - a basic or essential attribute shared by all members of a class; "a study of the physical properties of atomic particles"
structure - the manner of construction of something and the arrangement of its parts; "artists must study the structure of the human body"; "the structure of the benzene molecule"
phenotype - what an organism looks like as a consequence of the interaction of its genotype and the environment
texture, grain - the physical composition of something (especially with respect to the size and shape of the small constituents of a substance); "breadfruit has the same texture as bread"; "sand of a fine grain"; "fish with a delicate flavor and texture"; "a stone of coarse grain"
karyotype - the appearance of the chromosomal makeup of a somatic cell in an individual or species (including the number and arrangement and size and structure of the chromosomes)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.