Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to male-: Male menopause
1. a person bearing an Xand Ychromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.
2. an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces a sperm cell or male gamete.
3. a plant having a stamen or stamens.adj.
4. of, pertaining to, or being a male: the male skeleton; a male squirrel.
5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a boy or man; masculine: the male ego.
6. composed of males: a male choir.
a. of or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure producing or containing microspores.
b. (of seed plants) staminate.
8. made to fit into a corresponding open or recessed part: a male plug.
[1300–50; Middle English < Middle French ma(s)le < Latin masculus]
Ma•le(ˈmɑ leɪ, -li)
the capital of the Maldives. 46,334.
a combining form meaning “evil,” occurring in loanwords from Latin: malediction. Compare mal-.
[< Latin; see mal-]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.