Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to mandator: mandatary
1. An authoritative command or instruction.
2. A command or authorization given by a political electorate to the winner of an election.
a. A commission from the League of Nations authorizing a member nation to administer a territory.
b. A region under such administration.
4. Law The specific directive issued by a reviewing court to a lower court, as in requiring the lower court to enter a new judgment or to conduct further proceedings consistent with the reviewing court's ruling.
tr.v. man·dat·ed, man·dat·ing, man·dates
1. To assign (a colony or territory) to a specified nation under a mandate of the League of Nations.
2. To make mandatory, as by law; decree or require: mandated desegregation of public schools.
[Latin mandātum, from neuter past participle of mandāre, to order; see man- in Indo-European roots.]