Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to marbleize: marbleised
tr.v. mar·ble·ized, mar·ble·iz·ing, mar·ble·iz·es
to give a marble-like appearance to (something)
n., adj., v. -bled, -bling. n.
1. metamorphosed limestone that consists chiefly of recrystallized calcite or dolomite, occurs in a wide range of colors and variegations, takes a high polish, and is used esp. in sculpture and architecture.
2. a sculptural work in marble.
3. something resembling marble, as in hardness: a heart of marble.
4. a little ball usu. made of glass or agate for use in games.
5. marbles, (used with a sing. v.) any of various games for children played with marbles on a marked area of the ground.
6. marbles, Slang. wits; common sense: to lose one's marbles.adj.
7. consisting of or resembling marble.v.t.
8. to color or stain in imitation of variegated marble: to marble the edges of a book.
[1150–1200; variant of Old English marmel < Latin marmor < Greek mármaros]