Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to margent: brawls
1. the space around the printed or written matter on a page.
2. a border; edge.
3. an amount allowed or available beyond what is necessary: margin for error.
4. a limit beyond or below which something ceases to exist or to be desirable or possible: the margin of endurance.
5. an amount or degree of difference: to win by a margin of three votes.
a. security, usu. a percentage of a transaction, that a client deposits with a broker as a provision against loss.
b. the amount representing the client's investment or equity in such an account.
7. the difference between the amount of a loan and the market value of the collateral pledged as security for it.
8. the difference between the cost of merchandise and the net sales.
9. the point at which the return from economic activity barely covers the cost of production and below which production is unprofitable.v.t.
10. to provide with a margin or border.
11. to enter in the margin, as of a book.
a. to deposit a margin upon: to margin an account.
b. to purchase (securities) on margin.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin margin- (s. of margō) border]
Past participle: margented