Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to margravine: margravate
1. The wife or widow of a margrave.
2. Used as a title for such a woman.
[Probably Middle Dutch marcgravinne, feminine of marcgrāve, margrave; see margrave.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) the wife or widow of a margrave
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the wife or widow of a margrave
3. (Historical Terms) a woman who holds the rank of margrave
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a woman who holds the rank of margrave
[C17: from Middle Dutch, feminine of margrave]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
the wife of a margrave.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.