Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to marigold: calendula
1. Any of various American plants of the genus Tagetes of the composite family, widely cultivated for their showy yellow or orange flowers.
2. Any of several plants related to the marigold or having similar flowers, such as the marsh marigold.
[Middle English : Mari, Mary (ultimately from Greek Maria; see marionette) + golde, marigold (from Old English; probably akin to gold).]
1. (Plants) any of various tropical American plants of the genus Tagetes, esp T. erecta (African marigold) and T. patula (French marigold), cultivated for their yellow or orange flower heads and strongly scented foliage: family Asteraceae (composites)
2. (Plants) any of various similar or related plants, such as the marsh marigold, pot marigold, bur marigold, and fig marigold
[C14: from Mary (the Virgin) + gold]
1. any of several composite plants, esp. of the genus Tagetes, having golden or orange flowers and strong-scented foliage.
2. any of several unrelated plants, esp. of the genus Calendula, as C. officinalis, the pot marigold.
[1300–50; Middle English; presumably Mary (the Virgin) + gold gold]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||marigold - any of various tropical American plants of the genus Tagetes widely cultivated for their showy yellow or orange flowers|
flower - a plant cultivated for its blooms or blossoms
African marigold, Aztec marigold, big marigold, Tagetes erecta - a stout branching annual with large yellow to orange flower heads; Mexico and Central America
cúc vạn thọ