Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to marigold: calendula
1. Any of various American plants of the genus Tagetes of the composite family, widely cultivated for their showy yellow or orange flowers.
2. Any of several plants related to the marigold or having similar flowers, such as the marsh marigold.
[Middle English : Mari, Mary (ultimately from Greek Maria; see marionette) + golde, marigold (from Old English; probably akin to gold).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of various tropical American plants of the genus Tagetes, esp T. erecta (African marigold) and T. patula (French marigold), cultivated for their yellow or orange flower heads and strongly scented foliage: family Asteraceae (composites)
2. (Plants) any of various similar or related plants, such as the marsh marigold, pot marigold, bur marigold, and fig marigold
[C14: from Mary (the Virgin) + gold]
1. any of several composite plants, esp. of the genus Tagetes, having golden or orange flowers and strong-scented foliage.
2. any of several unrelated plants, esp. of the genus Calendula, as C. officinalis, the pot marigold.
[1300–50; Middle English; presumably Mary (the Virgin) + gold gold]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||marigold - any of various tropical American plants of the genus Tagetes widely cultivated for their showy yellow or orange flowers|
flower - a plant cultivated for its blooms or blossoms
African marigold, Aztec marigold, big marigold, Tagetes erecta - a stout branching annual with large yellow to orange flower heads; Mexico and Central America
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
cúc vạn thọ
marigold[ˈmærɪgəʊld] N (Bot) → maravilla f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
marigold[ˈmærigəʊld] n (= flower) → souci m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
marigold[ˈmærɪˌgəʊld] n → calendola
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
marigold→ آذَرِيُون měsíček morgenfrue Ringelblume κατιφές caléndula kehäkukka souci neven calendula マリーゴールド 금잔화 goudsbloem ringblomst nagietek calêndula, maravilhas бархатцы ringblomma ต้นไม้ประเภทดาวเรือง kadife çiçeği cúc vạn thọ 万寿菊
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009