masthead(redirected from mastheading)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Nautical The top of a mast.
2. The listing in a newspaper or periodical of information about its staff, operation, and circulation.
3. The title of a newspaper or periodical as it appears across the first page, front cover, or title page. Also called nameplate.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical
a. the head of a mast
b. (as modifier): masthead sail.
2. (Journalism & Publishing) Also called: flag the name of a newspaper or periodical, its proprietors, staff, etc, printed in large type at the top of the front page
3. (Nautical Terms) to send (a sailor) to the masthead as a punishment
4. (Nautical Terms) to raise (a sail) to the masthead
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a box or column, usu. on the editorial page of a newspaper or magazine, giving the names of the owners, staff members, etc.
a. the head of a mast.
b. the uppermost point of a mast.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: mastheaded
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||masthead - a listing printed in all issues of a newspaper or magazine (usually on the editorial page) that gives the name of the publication and the names of the editorial staff, etc.|
|2.||masthead - the title of a newspaper or magazine; usually printed on the front page and on the editorial page|
title - the name of a work of art or literary composition etc.; "he looked for books with the word `jazz' in the title"; "he refused to give titles to his paintings"; "I can never remember movie titles"
|3.||masthead - the head or top of a mast |
mast - a vertical spar for supporting sails
top - the upper part of anything; "the mower cuts off the tops of the grass"; "the title should be written at the top of the first page"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007