Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to mastic: Mastic gum
1. The mastic tree.
2. The aromatic resin of the mastic tree, used in varnishes and as a flavoring and formerly in chewing gum and as a medicine.
3. Any of various substances used as an adhesive or sealant.
4. A pastelike cement used in highway construction, especially one made with powdered lime or brick and tar.
[Middle English, mastic resin, from Old French mastich, from Latin mastichum, mastichē, from Greek mastikhē, chewing gum, mastic, from mastikhān, to grind the teeth.]
1. (Plants) Also called: mastix an aromatic resin obtained from the mastic tree and used as an astringent and to make varnishes and lacquers
2. (Plants) mastic tree
a. a small Mediterranean anacardiaceous evergreen tree, Pistacia lentiscus, that yields the resin mastic
b. any of various similar trees, such as the pepper tree
3. (Building) any of several sticky putty-like substances used as a filler, adhesive, or seal in wood, plaster, or masonry
4. (Brewing) a liquor flavoured with mastic gum
[C14: via Old French from Late Latin mastichum, from Latin, from Greek mastikhē resin used as chewing gum; from mastikhan to grind the teeth]
1. a small Mediterranean tree, Pistacia lentiscus, of the cashew family, that is the source of an aromatic resin used in making varnish and adhesives.
2. resin obtained from the mastic or a related tree.
a. any of various preparations containing bituminous materials and used as an adhesive or seal.
b. a pasty form of cement used for filling holes in masonry or plaster.
[1350–1400; < Latin < Greek mastíchē chewing gum, akin to mastichân to gnash the teeth]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mastic - an aromatic exudate from the mastic tree; used chiefly in varnishes|
natural resin - a plant exudate
|2.||mastic - a pasty cement used as an adhesive or filler|
cement - something that hardens to act as adhesive material
filler - used for filling cracks or holes in a surface
|3.||mastic - an evergreen shrub of the Mediterranean region that is cultivated for its resin|
genus Pistacia, Pistacia - a dicotyledonous genus of trees of the family Anacardiaceae having drupaceous fruit