Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to matchlock: Wheellock
1. A gunlock in which powder is ignited by a match.
2. A musket having such a gunlock.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) an obsolete type of gunlock igniting the powder by means of a slow match
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a gun having such a lock
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a gunlock that ignites the charge by a slow match.
2. a gun, usu. a musket, with such a lock.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||matchlock - an early style of musket; a slow-burning wick would be lowered into a hole in the breech to ignite the charge|
musket - a muzzle-loading shoulder gun with a long barrel; formerly used by infantrymen
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.